Search of Nanaimo home linked to missing teen investigation

By Ian Holmes
March 30, 2017 - 5:43pm Updated: March 30, 2017 - 8:08pm
Investigators at a house in the 600 block of Bruce Ave, where they searched for two days.
Investigators at a house in the 600 block of Bruce Ave, where they searched for two days. Spencer Sterritt/NanaimoNewsNOW
The search continues for Makayla Chang, 16. She could be with Steven Bacon, 53.
The search continues for Makayla Chang, 16. She could be with Steven Bacon, 53. submitted/RCMP

NANAIMO — RCMP confirmed the detailed search of a home in the city's Harewood neighbourhood is linked to missing local teenager Makayla Chang.

The 16-year-old has not been seen since March 19 and might be with Steven Bacon, 53, according to RCMP.

Cst. Gary O'Brien said thorough searches by investigators have been done at a home on Bruce Ave. near Fifth St. for the past two days.

“We have to be exhaustive in our search, we don't want to leave anything overlooked, and that's why we use as many resources as possible to conduct a search, we're doing it at that residence.”

O'Brien wouldn't say who owns the home being searched.

He stressed a Facebook post stating a body had been carried out of the home is false.

Police stated Bacon might know where Chang is and he's not a suspect or person of interest at this stage of the investigation.

“A number of tips are coming in from various sources, we have to follow-up on all of those, but we are also concentrating our search within the Nanaimo area.”

Chang is described as 5'1", 110 lbs. with dyed red hair and hazel eyes. RCMP said she often wears wigs and sometimes presents as a man. 

Bacon is white, 5'10", 210 lbs. with a short white buzz cut and two tattoos, one teardrop under his left eye and another on the back of his right hand. 

 

[email protected]

On Twitter:@reporterholmes

 

Nanaimo based Crisis Line sees major boost in recent months